Tuesday 24 March 2009

An open rasberry to Simon Jenkins

Below is an open letter to Guardian columnist and former Times editor Simon Jenkins, in response to his column: As they did Ozymandias, the dunes will reclaim the soaring folly of Dubai

Dear Simon,

As many of my fellow Dubaians have already done, I read your comment piece on this city yesterday.

What utter drivel.

Your contempt for a place that, unless you have missed a major point from your article, you have never visited beggars belief.

This does not adhere to any reasonable measure of journalistic competence; your research is non-existent, your generalisations are sweeping, and your prejudice shines through from the headline, standfirst and introduction of your piece.

Speaking as a young journalist, had I written such appalling trash, I would, I hope, feel ashamed. I would not expect to remain a journalist for very long, and would expect to move into a profession more suited to my particular skill-set – street-sweeping, say, or licking the grime from Germaine Greer's don't-fuck-me shoes.

I will not bother to list the many, many factual errors and incorrect assumptions you make in your article (although I can certainly do so if you would like).

Instead, I had rather intended to make a series of wittily sweeping generalisations about your good self, possibly of the nature that your inability to spell the names of the world's capital cities clearly means you're only minutes away from a retrograde step to the Guardian's subs-desk; or that the large parts of your brain that are currently lying unused and decaying will no doubt be occupied in short order by packs of malevolent dwarves (although possibly this has already happened).

However, as this would merely be lowering myself to your level I will content myself with blowing you a raspberry from 3500 miles away, which would seem to be a rather more mature response to your childish malice than it in fact merits.

Thrrrrrrrrrrp.

On a serious note, Dubai – and the UAE as a whole – has many faults and problems, some of them appalling, and some of them appalling only to those with delicate sensibilities and a dislike for what they perceive as "vulgar".

But this type of comment does nothing to address them – and if you, as a human being, really take such glee in the downfall of others, well, I feel somewhat sorry for you.

Others more eloquent than I have rightly described Dubai as an experiment, an alternative to the hitherto oppressive and closed cultures that have been seen in the Gulf. As Dubai has succeeded, others – Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Qatar, and now even cities in Saudi Arabia – are tentatively following in this city's footsteps.

Were Dubai in fact to fail – and more importantly, be seen to fail, and be publicly derided by people such as you – then the experiment would be for naught. Other cities and states may well see that the reward for risk is ridicule, and quietly slip back into the old way of doing things.

This is a complex issue – and if all you're seeing is ski-slopes and palms and shiny cars, you're not looking hard enough.

Regards,

Eliot Beer
Editor, AdNation Middle East

7 comments:

  1. Yes, please. Go ahead and tell us all about those 'many, many factual errors'.

    I for one would love to see what you can come up with to complement your emotional response to a Jenkins wicked truth!

    From a regular visitor to Dubai: last bastion of over-hyped 'live-the-dream' soullessness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like very much - here is my raspberry to Mr. Jenkins Thrrrrrrrrrrp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny... and very true! If only they would do a bit of research...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous - I'll be happy to go through the errors - provided you post under your name.

    And you'll find no disagreement from me that Dubai is over-hyped - I don't like that much, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...

    I'm starting to think the rasberry was a bridge too far.

    Maybe this is what I get for hitting the sippin' whisky while posting...*

    But I just felt so, so angry after reading the original column - this was the one that really pushed me over the edge with its egregious wrongness.

    Anyway.

    * This comment is for comedic effect only - no sipping whisky or other alcoholic products were harmed in the making of this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To annon at 23.52:

    To a wealthy, educated Westerner it may be 'the last bastion of over-hyped live the dream soullnessless, but to the majority of the population (which amazingly isn't British, yet the British are the most boorish and verbose when it comes to their schadenfreude), it represents so much more.

    Stability in an unstabel region, opportunity to escape from reilgious and governmental oppression, the chance to thrive and build a life and provide a life to families back home.

    There are just three very simple, and very basic reasons why Dubai works.

    Remember, the world doesn't revolve around Western ideals of cultural norms anymore...

    ReplyDelete